Increase your water intake
Many people believe that they get enough water from coffee, tea, fruit juices, and soft drinks, but these do not fully satisfy the need for fluids.
If you eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly, but do not drink enough water, you will not burn fat efficiently. This is because when the body perceives thirst, its processes slow - just as if you had skipped a meal. Whether you drink fizzy or still bottled water, filtered tap water, or just plain tap water, any increase is beneficial to your health. Aim for six to eight 225ml (8floz) glasses of water every day.
Food can also supply your body with water, especially fruits and vegetables. For example, watermelon contains more than 90 per cent water. On a warm day, eating plenty of salad leaves, tomatoes, and cucumber will boost your water intake.
Tips for drinking more water
- While you are studying or working at your computer, keep a bottle or large glass of water on your desk and drink from it regularly.
- Drink tap water or sparkling or still mineral water with meals instead of other carbonated drinks or alcohol.
- When you go out for the day, take a bottle of water with you in your car, briefcase, or backpack. Use an insulated sleeve to help keep it cool.
- Be sure to have a water bottle with you whenever you go to the gym, play tennis, jog or run, or play sport. Extra water is important when you are exercising.
- Buy a bottle of water instead of a sugary fizzy drink or sweetened fruit drink when you are thirsty.
Pure water is calorie-free and the best drink to quench thirst. Your body cannot store water, so you must drink plenty of it to replenish losses and maintain healthy function of all your body cells. It is the most abundant substance in the body and is necessary for survival.
The quality of drinking water in the UK is regulated by the government. Their reports consistently show that it is of a very high quality. Despite this fact many people prefer to drink bottled or filtered tap water. Bottled water is convenient to carry, making it easier for you to drink your six to eight glasses a day. Sparkling, still, and flavoured waters are excellent, but watch out for “enhanced” water, which can contain unnecessary calories. Also check labels if you are controlling your sodium intake, as some brands can contain high levels of sodium.
Get more on this subject…